Tune In This Wednesday
In case you missed last week
- We discussed 2022 in web development, including the recent layoffs and macroeconomic environment.
- We also spoke with Brian Douglass from Open Sauced about getting started with your first open source contribution.
Why You Should Use a React Framework
Lee Robinson from Vercel makes the case in Why You Should Use a React Framework for React frameworks (or more popularly known as meta-frameworks). He emphasizes Next.js but I think many of the points in this article extend to other projects like RedwoodJS, create-t3-app, and Remix including:
- Keeping up with the evolution of React
- Saving time by removing the need to connect tools
- Easier onboarding for team members, especially newer developers
- Opinions prevent bikeshedding
- Deploy to different providers across serverless, containers, and virtual machines
The API testing client HTTPie has added an API assistant called HTTPie AI. In an announcement from Jakub Roztocil and Ivan Mironchik, they explain how it enables developers to create API requests using human language. I recently discovered you could pull off a similar trick by asking Warp to write a GraphQL query.
Vue 2022 Year In Review
In 2022 Year In Review, Evan You reflects on the important milestones achieved this year around Vue, Vite, and the large number of adjacent projects such as Next, Vuetify, and Quasar. He also highlights plans around the up and coming Vapor Mode, an alternative compilation strategy inspired by SolidJS. It aims to be more performant and less memory intensive while shipping a smaller runtime, making Solid a natural choice to emulate.
Lastly, a fairly new project was shared around called Evershop which heavily evokes RedwoodJS and Hydrogen for me. It combines a unique blend of fullstack React and GraphQL tooling with opinions and features optimized for e-commerce sites like themes and first class Stripe integrations. Check out the documentation and GitHub repository.
Podcasts of the Week
- The Syntax.fm hosts reflect on their predictions from last year in Were We Wrong? 2022 Predictions Revisited and make new bets on next year in Our Predictions for 2023.
- Corbin Crutchley on Web Rush explains how he Doubled His Lighthouse Performance with Astro.js.
- Returning PodRocket guest Ryan Carniato joins the show to discuss the beta release of SolidStart, the long awaited meta-framework for SolidJS.
Find us online at the following links: